Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Breaking the Mold - The End

English - literature, grammar, Dickens, Shakespeare, poetry, and language. But this year, my English blog has been about so much more. From little Scout to greedy Pip, and Team Algernon to suicidal lovers, we covered everything in English this year, and I have it all captured in my blog, forevermore posted on the World Wide Web. Though we did everything the other 9th grade Honors English classes did, one thing we did they didn't was have a class blog.

I really enjoyed having this blog. It gave us a chance to do something more- to break the mold of journals and paper assignments. I feel it gave us a chance to do all the required things, but still get our opinion out there and discuss and think about it outside of school. Having this blog provided the opportunity to write what we felt outside of the strict essay format. I was able to say what I wanted, how I wanted. I will say, though, some blog assignments felt like I was writing an essay because the required so much thought and answering of questions. I think if you were to compile all the blog assignments into one big paper, it would equal more pages than all of my essays from this year combined.

I would have to say that one my favorite blog assignment was discussing fate in Romeo and Juliet. I got to research my zodiac sign and learn more about it, then compare all that to a beyond-famous play. Wow, that play is so famous, I think I knew about it before I was born. Freaky! Shakespeare really knew what he was doing when he wrote that. It was really interesting to learn more about Scorpios, especially since while I was reading it, I was like, "Whoah! That is totally me!" Isn't it so weird how simple things like looking at the stars can be so accurate?


Another one of my favourite (gasp! did I really just use the British spelling?!) posts was my early childhood memory. I had completely forgotten about how my dad mocked my dream about being sucked down the bathtub drain. I don't think I have ever worn a shirt with animals on it after that. Bad connotation. *shudder* It's always fun to look back on things from your childhood and go, "Wow, I can't believe I was actually scared of that!" Kids just believe the darnest things.


If I had to chose one post where I was really proud of my writing, I would chose the Spring Break extra-credit blog. I wrote that one from third person narrative - which isn't always easy - and I think it's something different. I broke the mold, if you will. I always find it fun to write things from unexpected points of view, mainly second person. Second person narrative really isn't as hard as everyone makes it out to be. If you think about it, you do it quite often. Like that sentence. It was in second person. I think that blog post really described my writing style. It was different, yet interesting and fun to read.
This year in English was so much fun. I wish Mrs. Gilman would teach 10th grade Honors English next year so I can have her again. Her class was always my favourite (there I go with the British spellings again) class of the day. It's just so much fun! Plus Wyatt was in that class. No class with Wyatt is a bad class.
Alas, fair English blog, I must now say goodbye. Maybe if I remember in years to come I will log on once more and read everything I posted on you. As William Hurt once said, "You have to create a track record of breaking your own mold, or at least other people's idea of that mold."

No comments:

Post a Comment